Bars and Pubs
- Popeye a craft beer bar with 70 beers on tap. A 2 min walk from Ryōgoku Station. 東京都墨田区両国2-18-7 ☎ 03-3633-2120
- Numazukou (Sushi) (沼津港 新宿本店). website. ☎ 03-5361-8228. 〒160-0022 Tokyo, Shinjuku 新宿３丁目３４−１６ 池田プラザビル １F. (map). The original Numazukou sushi branch. Incredibly good prices for high quality ingredients, there is often a line out of the door. 11:00-22:30.
- Mentsu-dan (Udon). ☎ +81353891077. ダイカンプラザ ビジネス清田ビル１Ｆ, 7-9-15新宿区. Incredibly fresh udon. So fresh, infact, it is made to order. Prices are very reasonable.
- Golden Gai Alley (新宿ゴールデン街). 新宿ゴールデン街. Between the Shinjuku City Office, Hanzomon Shrine, and the infamous Kabukicho. This area generally doesn’t open until 8 or 9pm. The sheer volume of places to drink and eat is overwhelming, but it is a great place to start (and end) a night out on the town.
- Ichi-ran (Ramen) (一蘭). 一蘭 新宿中央東口店. Great ramen, but there is usually always a long line of tourists lined up out the door, so expect to wait.
- Pizzakaya (Pizza)
- If you are in Tokyo on a weekday, you need to make the trip to Pizzakaya in Roppongi. A 5 minute walk from Roppongi Station, Pizzakaya is an authentic American pizza joint run by a Californian man. The pizza is great and the atmosphere is American (he never even spoke Japanese to customers). The best time to go is during 11:30am-2pm when they have their lunch special. For 1,000 yen you get an 8" (although it seemed more like 10") 2-topping pizza, side salad, and a drink. Won't find a better deal in all of Tokyo. Website
- Keio Plaza Hotel (京王プラザホテル). website. This is a higher end hotel where the three day Tokyo Orientation is held for all new JET participants. It is very centrally located. Shinjuku station’s West Underground Exit 西口地下 will bring you right in front of the Hotel.
- Bali An
- A fancy theme love hotel. Pool table, darts, massage chairs, and a bar are free to use in the lobby on the 1st floor. All rooms come with karaoke, video games, and DVD player. Homepage
- Tokyo Skytree
- There are 2 observation decks, Tembo Deck and Tembo Galleria. Tembo Deck is 350m high and tickets cost ¥2,000. If you wish to go to the higher Tembo Galleria, 450m, you must purchase tickets on Tembo Deck for ¥1,000 yen. Homepage
- Tokyo Tower
- There are 2 observation decks, the Main Observatory (150m) and the Special Observatory (250m). Tickets for the Main Observatory cost ¥820 and the Special Observatory costs a further ¥600. Homepage
- Robot Restaurant (ロボットレストラン). website. There are 4 performance slots:
- This restaurant is not a far walk from Shinjuku station. The entry cost, including one drink, is steep - 5,000 yen. This will get you roughly 80min of entertainment. Highly overrated and overpriced.
- Tokyo Capital Metropolis Building (Tocho). ☎ +81353211111. 2-8-1 Nishishinjuku 新宿区. One of the tallest structures in Tokyo, it is composed of two towers that split off from one another at the 33rd floor. Tower No.1 is 48 stories, and Tower No.2 is 37 stories tall. Each tower has an observation deck on its 45th floor, free of charge to the public. In addition to this, the 32nd floor has a very reasonably priced food court - grab something to eat and enjoy the view, all for less than 1000 yen.
- Ecco Project
|Akita JET Travel Guide|
|Tohoku||Aomori • Akita • Fukushima • Iwate • Miyagi • Yamagata|
|Kanto||Chiba • Gunma • Ibaraki • Kanagawa • Saitama • Tochigi • Tokyo|
|Chubu||Aichi • Fukui • Gifu • Ishikawa • Mie • Nagano • Niigata • Shizuoka • Toyama • Yamanashi|
|Kansai||Hyogo • Kyoto • Nara • Osaka • Shiga • Wakayama|
|Chugoku||Hiroshima • Okayama • Shimane • Tottori • Yamaguchi|
|Shikoku||Ehime • Kagawa • Kōchi • Tokushima|
|Kyushu||Fukuoka • Kagoshima • Kumamoto • Miyazaki • Nagasaki • Ōita • Saga|